Search engine optimisation (SEO) consists of 2 main elements 1) onsite SEO or onsite SEO and 2) offsite SEO or link building. Google places more emphasis on offsite optimisation than the other search engines making offsite SEO very important.
Quality of links to a website are much more important than the quantity. You will rarely see a website in 1st position on Google have the most number of links! A website linking to your site is like a vote. The better quality of votes the better for your search engine positioning. Furthermore increasingly with offsite SEO 1 way links and not reciprocal links are much more powerful. Google considers a reciprocal link (you link to a site and they link back to you) as an attempt to manipulate its search engine rankings and does not carry much favour with this activity any more.
What is a ‘decent’ link?
There are 2 main considerations:
- Relevance – Having a link within a site or page that is relevant to the context of your product/service is weighted highly. E.g. if you wanted to appear top of Google for phrases such as ‘nokia 2410 mobile phone’ then having a link to your site within a review about this phone would be very helpful. Having a link on a page about pig farming wouldn’t be very useful for example.
- Importance and page rank of the site linking to you – All sites have a Google ‘page rank’. The exact way this is calculated is not known to anyone except Google but it is thought that it is an indicator of how ‘important’ a site is. Generally if a site appears to be an established authority on a particular subject and has lots of similar/authority sites linking to it then the site is likely to have a very good page rank.
Given the above 2 factors a quality, well planned offsite SEO or link building campaign is important to achieve top Google positions. Paying £50 for an ‘SEO Guru’ to achieve 500 links is therefore obviously a complete waste of time and this kind of service should be avoided!
How do achieve high quality links?
All campaigns are ongoing and billed monthly. Achieving quality links in month 1 then not achieving anymore for 6 months simply tells Google in month 1 you were important and months 2-6 you aren’t so important!
There are a number of ways which we can gain quality links to your site:
- Submission to the major directories which you don’t already have coverage on.
- Article/press release writing and submission to relevant content/news sites. This is very powerful offsite SEO as your link is contained on sites/pages with lots of keyword rich content e.g. being a watch retailer and having a link on a website about pig farming is weighted much less than having a link on a site about watches. It is likely that the articles are going to be used as content on other sites therefore extending the benefit.
- Social/business media networking. Contributing to content and discussions on keyword relevant sites is also very valuable. For example participating in a forum about your service/product with a link/s back to your site is very beneficial.
- Site targeting – we can identify relevant websites, perhaps suppliers or clients, which may well place a link on their site. We will also look at who are linking to your high ranking competitor’s sites and see if we can obtain links from the most relevant ones.